Sunday, October 16, 2011

ABA- Applied Behavior Analysis

There is no medical cure for Autism. This means treatment is mostly targeted to helping the behavior. This week I researched one of the most popular methods- Applied Behavior Analysis.

Developed by Dr. Ivar Lovaas in the 1960s, it focuses on developing speech, play, self-sufficiency, social, academic, and attention skills.

It is an expensive and intensive program that is usually done within the home for 30-40 hours a week. Obvioulsy I cannot do this with every child, but I can use the basic prinicpals and incorporate them into my program.

ABA focuses on reaching clear objectives that can be observed. It usually starts with simple academic goals such as ABCs, numbers, etc. Then asking questions about the child and the world around them. Then the program focuses on play and developing skills that can be used in different social situations.

I definitely cannot spend this much time on each individual and be so focued, but I can set observable goals and focus on observing the world and "playing" different social situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment